A case against vendor-locking optical modules

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Nov 17 23:17:27 UTC 2014

This is an interesting thread, but the actual winning strategy was only tangentially mentioned.

	Q: How do you get a vendor to change?
	A: Everyone stop buying that vendor's gear.

It's a simple business decision. If the profit dollars of the people who stick around with locked optics are greater than the profit dollars of everyone buying without, guess what a vendor will do? (I'm ignoring a ton of second-order effects, such as having enough kit in production to be considered ubiquitous, since most companies can't think that far ahead.)

You like Arista for price, density, etc.? Then factor in the cost (OpEx & CapEx) of vendor-specific optics and see if they still make sense. Don't just look at the per-port cost of the blade. See, it's a simple business decision for you too.

Besides, what's wrong with using something (as Nick mentioned) like FlexOptics programmable optics? Haven't tried it in Arista, but other kit works fine.

--
TTFN,
patrick