A case against vendor-locking optical modules

Ken Matlock matlockken at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 22:37:08 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 1:09 PM, ryanL <ryan.landry at gmail.com> wrote:

> there's a reason why cisco introduced "service unsupported-transceiver",
> which still remains an undocumented command. i have arista gear as well.
> kinda wish they had a similar undocumented command.

Arista does have it (at least in older codes, no idea if it still works).

http://serverfault.com/questions/281534/what-is-the-command-to-enable-3rd-party-sfp-transceivers-on-arista-switch

One note: I did not have to reboot the switch for it to work. That took
care of *most* 3rd-party optics, but I seem to recall it didn't cover 100%.

Ken