A case against vendor-locking optical modules

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Mon Nov 17 21:37:22 UTC 2014

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014, Naslund, Steve wrote:

> Let talk about the 800 pound gorilla in the room and the #1 reason to
> hate vendor locked optics.  Some vendors (yes, Cisco I'm looking at you)
> want to charge ridiculously high prices for optic that are identical to
> generic optics other than the vendor lock.  Maybe a better tactic would
> be to have the vendor explain to you why the vendor lock is necessary.
> You are after all the customer and don't owe them any explanations.

The Packetpushers recently discussed this issue:

  http://packetpushers.net/ps-show-35-oem-sfp-qsfp-modules-work/

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.