A case against vendor-locking optical modules

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Mon Nov 17 19:59:49 UTC 2014

That is their most popular argument.  However this is no different from putting a NIC card. RAM, or hard drives in a server platform.  For that matter, do you blame the network vendor if you have a faulty optical cable?  In your example, can you be sure that the SFP was the issue?  You can't be because someone obviously did not follow the standards for the SFP interface, was it the network gear or the SFP itself.  Just because brand X does not work with switch Y does not make it brand Xs fault.

Obviously if there is a flaw in the NIC, the server guys should not get blamed.  Just as there are standards for USB, PCI, SATA, and other, there are standards for SFP and SFP+ interfaces.  If the optic vendor is not compliant, that's their problem and if your network gear does not accept any optic that complies with the standard that is the network gear's fault.  Consider how you would feel if HP servers only accepted HP hard drives or would not accept an Intel NIC, would you accept that?

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL