A case against vendor-locking optical modules

Jérôme Nicolle jerome at ceriz.fr
Mon Nov 17 19:12:10 UTC 2014

Le 17/11/2014 19:28, Faisal Imtiaz a écrit :
> If history has any advice to offer, it would be, if you are not
> dependent on warranty or support issues from the Vendor, then go
> forward, do what you please, ..

Well, I could go on and re-code the optics, at least by simply cloning a
few OEMs.

But there is still the spare items issue. No datacenter remote-hands
will accept any lyability in operating a recoder (wich, when not
operated properly, can easily fry the module). So I have to keep
multiple spares per module type, each beeing recoded and labelled for
different vendors.

Le 17/11/2014 19:54, William Herrin a écrit :
> Change "can't" to "won't", because you find it inconvenient and
> insulting to work around artificial and costly problems created by
> your vendor. If you can't use their equipment then they haven't lost
> any business but if you _won't_ then they have.

Let's talk about the £800 gorilla in the room then : it's not an issue
for a $20 LX SFP, it may be doable for a $120 LR SFP+, it's certainly
not an option for an ER-DWDM SFP+ 8-40 waves set ($800 each).

You're right about how inconvinient and insulting such restrictions
feel, but my main concern is about costs, efficiency and logistics.

Having to stock more spare optics, one per vendor, has its cost. Having
to cheat the restriction by recoding the optics, also has costs in terms
of time, tools and complexity. At the end of the day, everyone loses.

Because it's absurd and induce more costs and complexity, I _can't_ fall
into such trap. Because it's insulting and bordeline moronic to begin
with, I certainly _won't_.

Now, about discussing with a CEO, I'm not really sure it could be
reached. Salesmen on the other hand have their own interest in both
selling OEM modules to the corporate market, and unlocked equipments to
the SP/telco market, to whom they won't sell anything otherwise.

Is it unrealistic to hope for enough salesmen pressure on the corporate
ladder to make such moronic attitude be reversed in the short term ?

Best regards,

--
Jérôme Nicolle
+33 6 19 31 27 14