Linux router traffic monitoring, how? netflow?

Leonardo Arena rnalrd at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 08:34:29 UTC 2014

On gio, 2014-11-13 at 19:09 +0200, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have a tiny linux router based on ubuntu and sometimes I get a
> massive load of UDP traffic because of one of the PCs in the network.
> Usually I handle the situation with a strict block using iptables.
> The main issue is to find it due to the load.
> For now I am monitoring the traffic load using MRTG but it won't
> notify me.
> I can try to use nagios to monitor traffic load for a period of time
> but before I start working on it I want another person opinion and
> options.
>
> I have seen netflow in the past but never actually used it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Eliezer

NFDump [1] also is good if you look at a less fancy analyzer (cmdline
based) but very customizable. You search for that data the you want in
the time slot that you want.

I know there are other projects which can read captured data and present
it in a GUI but I haven't used them myself.

Regards,
leonardo

[1] http://nfdump.sourceforge.net/