Equinix Virginia - Ethernet OOB suggestions

Brett Frankenberger rbf+nanog at panix.com
Mon Nov 10 15:38:09 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 08:20:44AM -0600, Joe Greco wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > VPN setup is not really a viable option (for us) in this scenario.
> > Honestly, I'd prefer to just call it done already and have a VPN but due to
> > certain restraints, we have to go down this route.
>
> Without explaining the "restraints," this kinda boils down to "'cuz we
> want it," which stopped being good justification many years ago.

Not to ARIN, which isn't in the business of deciding what uses are
valid and what uses are not valid (only that there is, in fact, use).
With the recent reduction in minimum allocation sizes, he could get PI
space for this directly from ARIN (depending on his previous
allocations and efficient utilization thereof, of course).

> I doubt you'll find many takers who would want to provide you with a
> circuit for a few Mbps with a /23 for OOB purposes "'just cuz."
>
> I note that we're present in Equinix Ashburn and could do it, and that
> this is basically a nonstarter for us.

Not an unreasonable business decision.  His challange will be finding a
provider large enough that they can easily allocate a /23 but small
enough that they're interested in a 10(ish) Mbps connection that isn't
likely to grow much.

     -- Brett