I am about to inherit 26 miles of dark fiber. What do I do with it?

Fletcher Kittredge fkittred at gwi.net
Mon Nov 10 12:40:30 UTC 2014

Gah!

Municipal fiber networks can be total failures or the best investment a
community can make. It all depends on the implementation.

There are eight steps one needs to get right: 1) public policy goals, 2)
technical goals meet the public policy goals, 3) survey community
demographics and existing network assets, 4) build community consensus, 5)
select the right business plan and obtain funding, 6) technical design of
OSP and operating structure, 7) RFI/RFP, 8)select EPC vendors and
fanatically oversee construction.

Steps 1-5 are the most important and the level of success will depend on
the quality of their implementation. If a half-assed job is done at any
step, the outcome will not be good.  This discussion has been focused on
step 6: technical design. It is impossible to do a good technical design if
you don't understand the problem you are trying to solve.

There are vast differences between different municipalities public policy
goals and business plans. It doesn't make sense to copy Chattanooga's
implementation because their situation is different than yours (you have an
existing fiber network, which is always a warning sign. They are serving
all residents and businesses and you imply you are focused on businesses.)

Focus on developing a deep understanding of what problem the city leaders
are trying to solve, then figure out how to hire a competent OSP design
person and make them do a good job. This is a hard task in and of itself.

The failure of one municipal broadband system reflects badly on all
municipal broadband systems. Good luck.

--
Fletcher Kittredge
GWI