I am about to inherit 26 miles of dark fiber. What do I do with it?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Nov 10 03:18:11 UTC 2014

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014, Lorell Hathcock wrote:

> A job opportunity just came my way to work with 26 miles of dark fiber
> in and around a city in Texas.

How is the outside plant being built and supported?  Who fixes fiber cuts?
Who manages the fiber-cut-fixers?  Who monitors the network and handles
initial triage to determine if there is a fiber cut, as opposed to a
hardware/optic failure?

Those questions lead to many others, such as who has documentation and
as-built drawings for the fiber plant?  Are all of the access agreements,
insurance certificates, letters of agency, etc. up to date and accurate?

jms