Reporting DDOS reflection attacks

Brian Rak brak at gameservers.com
Sun Nov 9 17:31:39 UTC 2014

Also, abusix is not completely accurate (and they've never responded to
my emails reporting problems).  For example, any IPs from apnic and
nic.ad.jp return the registry's abuse address, which doesn't do anything.

Don't forget about all the providers with incorrect abuse contacts, or
providers that require you to fill out some form, or providers that
auto-respond with messages saying it's not their IP space (I'm looking
at you charter... 71.90.222.x is definitely your space, despite what
your abuse system thinks).

Some tips:
1) Verify the servers are still vulnerable.  This is pretty
straightforward, and saves everyone involved some time
2) Your abuse emails should include tcpdump-like output (or you'll get
tons of replies asking for logs)
3) Sticking to one abusive IP per email seems to get the best response
rate (or you confuse all the automated systems for parsing these)
4) We provide instructions for fixing the issue for some common
software... this seems to help some of the people who have no idea what
they are doing.
5) Make sure you don't send this from your email address.  It should
definitely be it's own mailbox due to volume of bounces and autoreplies
you'll see.

Don't expect that sending abuse emails is going to have any noticeable
effect on the size of the attacks you see.  The openresolverproject
stats show the scope of the issue:
http://openresolverproject.org/breakdown.cgi