DDOS, IDS, RTBH, and Rate limiting

Trent Farrell tfarrell at riotgames.com
Sun Nov 9 04:19:51 UTC 2014

I wouldn't have suggested it if I hadn't successfully made these requests
myself. Most attacks don't last long enough to put a dent on billing so
it's in everyone best interest to cull it quickly.

Providing the upstream network is big enough and your attacks aren't huge
pipefills, they will usually place the acl on your customer port first,
which in those cases should be enough.

For smaller attacks you can try to drop at your router/absorb
it/ scrub it inside your border if you have the kit - but anything
significant like the NTP reflection attacks earlier in the year, you come
up against the "bandwidth arms race" problem.

There are services out there like Prolexic/Black Lotus offer where they can
scrub traffic for you, but I've never used one first hand so can't comment.