DDOS, IDS, RTBH, and Rate limiting

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Sun Nov 9 02:42:38 UTC 2014

There's no doubt, rate-limiting is a poor-man's way of getting the job done,
but for small operators who aren't as well instrumented (whether that due to
staff or resources), a simple rule such as:
	access-list 100 ip host 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 rate-limit 200000
	access-list 100 ip host 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 rate-limit 5000000
	int vlan 10
        description Internet uplink
	 ip access-group 100 in
	!
would be great.

Yes, the /32 under attack would essentially be out of service, but at least
the downstream network doesn't get congested and more customers affected.

Frank