Shipping bulk hardware via freight

Alain Hebert ahebert at pubnix.net
Fri Nov 7 12:04:38 UTC 2014

On 11/05/14 13:02, Jason wrote:
> I'm interested in talking with someone who has experience shipping hardware that has been pulled from a working environment.  The assumption is that it would not use a normal carriers such as UPS of Fedex, but via private freight.
>
> Assuming that 20 x 1U switches and a handful of 10U chassis's were to be shipped, has anyone found a productive way to package them in something other than the boxes they come in?  Has anyone tried to crate / pallet pack them or something more efficient?
>

> If so, please contact me offline if you are willing to share your experience.
>

> Jason

    Had a bunch (9) Dell C1100 shipped from Cali to Mtl on a 1/4 pallet
thru UPS LTE.  Cost barely $900 and 4h of import/export paperwork.

    To my surprise it arrived on a wooden pallet, which is fine... but
each servers was just stacked on it, wrap with packing film, and 1
plastic strap and a bit of cardboard on the corners.

    I can only praise the driver and the handlers... none where beat up.

    TLDR: Shipping on pallet is fine, most carrier (at least the guys i
dealt with) are professional, just do your own packing =D