Shipping bulk hardware via freight

Larry Sheldon larrysheldon at cox.net
Fri Nov 7 03:43:29 UTC 2014

On 11/6/2014 12:07, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 23:11:23 -0500, William Herrin said:
>
>> Ah yes, I recall watching them decommission the old Control Data Cyber 990
>> back at Georgia Tech. The mover slipped trying to get it on the liftgate
>> and the whole cabinet dropped about a foot to the ground with a nice solid
>> thud.
>
> I know of a case where somebody managed to drop an IBM Shark storage
> array off a forklift.
>
> Amazingly enough, it still kinda sorta worked after that....

I no longer can recall the name of the company (his trucks were United
Fan Lines colors but he had split off or something and had a license to
use the colors)--all he (and crew) did was big computers.

In the years I dealt with him the highlights were a) the time he and
crew loaded a 1783 Drum (Several thousand pounds, I think, and
top-heavy) into a truck parked against the curb or a street that has a
moderately radical slope.  Rolling it off the lift gate they lost it and
it slammed against the down-hill wall pretty sternly.  The truck tilted
a bit into the street light pole which made the pole whip, flinging the
glass cover down on the truck.  Activity eventually stopped with the
truck leaning (and immobilized) against the pole.  I don't remember the
resolution.

b) the time they Johnson-barred an 1110 CPU into an open hole in the
raised floor.  Seems like the ripped out a lot of floor before deciding
the strategy was not working.  Seems like the used several Rol-a-lifts,
a lot of canvas strapping and Johnson Bar handles recovering it.

--
The unique Characteristics of System Administrators:

The fact that they are infallible; and,

The fact that they learn from their mistakes.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes