Issues with SNMP monitoring over a GRE tunnel.

Gregory Moberg gmoberg at logmatrix.com
Wed Nov 5 18:49:55 UTC 2014

This would be a good approach.  In SNMP the request initiator (the one
sending the SNMP 'Get' or 'GetNext' or 'GetBulk' ) can anticipate the size
of the outgoing request will be small(er) by asking for fewer variables at
a time.  (Each variable is a 'varbind' and each is specified in the
outgoing request packet as an OID.)  But it sometime impossible to know how
large the return size will be.  The SNMP Agent responding the to request
will load up the return UDP packet with the required data and this could be
quite large - depending on what is being requested.  Thus, it is good to
ask for fewer variables at a time thus hopefully keeping the SNMP Agent
from responding with something that will prove too large to the MTU barrier
that is being hit somewhere along the transitioned network path.

'GetBulk' would seem to be the worst enemy regarding this.

Of course some returns are very small per-variable.  'ifInOctets' is a
32bit integer.  'ifHCInOctets' is a 64bit integer. Etc.  These are not
likely the problem.  Issues will occur when fetching octet strings such as
'ifDescr' or 'sysLocation' - there can be times when these values have been
loaded up the remote SNMP Agent with quite a substantial response.

--
Greg Moberg, Director, NerveCenter Engineering
LogMatrix, Inc |  http://www.logmatrix.com/ | CommunityForum