Default routes on BGP routers with full feeds

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Wed Nov 5 14:22:45 UTC 2014

We receive full routes and a default so we can perform traffic engineering within our network. We have links to multiple carriers, via multiple routers. We inject a default route into OSPF from distinct segments of our network, based on receiving the default route on that segment via eBGP. If the default route goes down, the default injected from another segment assumes priority and traffic routes out through that segment's carrier. It's easier to manage this kind of failover (for us) using default routes, so we don't have to carry full routes on all our core routers. We also prefer using a default route over engineering things based on some other arbitrary route learned from eBGP.

Thanks,
Adam