Default routes on BGP routers with full feeds

Andreas Larsen andreas.larsen at ip-only.se
Wed Nov 5 06:49:39 UTC 2014

There is one setup where you would need default route from your provider.

If you have no IBGP between two sites and your prefix is a large /16 on side and maybe a /18 from that /16 on another site. These site would not be able to talk to each other if you orginate from the same AS.

Other than that I see not harm in having both default and a full table since longest prefix match will always win even if you have 2 or more transits.

// Andreas
Med vänlig hälsning
Andreas Larsen

IP-Only Telecommunication AB| Postadress: 753 81 UPPSALA | Besöksadress: S:t Persgatan 6, Uppsala |
Telefon: +46 (0)18 843 10 00 | Direkt: +46 (0)18 843 10 56
www.ip-only.se<https://webmail.ip-only.net/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>