Default routes on BGP routers with full feeds

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Tue Nov 4 18:17:23 UTC 2014

I often opt to leave one or more default routes configured with low
priority (lower than BGP). The thinking is that if there is a fault with
BGP, the router will still operate and the fault can be corrected
remotely (in-band). The downside is that I might pass traffic for
non-existing destinations an additional hop and put the load of
generating an ICMP unreachable on someone else's router.

--Blake