HTTP 302 with multiple Location: headers?

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Mon Nov 3 12:33:36 UTC 2014

Ignoring the fact that Akamai IPv6 is broken on random nodes, thus you
get either a working response or not from the same IP as some of the
nodes are borked and thus just hang the connection.. (could be pmtu,
hard to say without peeking inside the cluster).... see amongst others:
 https://www.sixxs.net/forum/?msg=general-12378937

But on a non-IPv4 note for once, I just noticed this funny one:

$ telnet -4 www.akamai.com 80
Trying 95.101.216.85...
Connected to e8921.dscx.akamaiedge.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /html/technology/nocc.html HTTP/1.1
Host: www.akamai.com

HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily
Location: /esi/ui/html_head.html
Location: /esi/ui/header.html
Location: /esi/ui/technology-nav.html
Location: /esi/ui/footer.html
Location: /esi/ui/footer_js.html
Location: /esi/webtrends.html
Location: /esi/google-tag-manager.html
Set-Cookie: cm_sessionid=47d4fed5001b00007c7457540ff80400b7650000; path=/
Set-Cookie: x_hd=
Set-Cookie: x_hd=
Set-Cookie: x_hd=
Set-Cookie: x_hd=
Set-Cookie: x_hd=
Set-Cookie: x_hd=
Set-Cookie: x_hd=
ETag: "4c08f-206b-50353850ddb40"
Cache-Control: max-age=70369
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 12:26:36 GMT
Connection: keep-alive

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Error Page</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
An error (302 Moved Temporarily) has occured in response to this request.
</BODY>
</HTML>
Connection closed by foreign host.

Multiple Location: headers, really? and for head/footer/etc? Really? :)

Chrome reports:
---
Error code: ERR_RESPONSE_HEADERS_MULTIPLE_LOCATION
---

Firefox:
---
Corrupted Content Error

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because an error in the
data transmission was detected.
---

Note the irony in googling for Akamai NOC and getting such a page.

I think there are a couple of b0rked nodes in the cluster that is
attempting to serve me...

Greets,
 Jeroen