Tail-F

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 18:19:10 UTC 2014

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is anyone using Tail-f software or know anything similar? We are looking
> for a solution that is vendor agnostic. Can do simple command like show

I've only read of this, but my understanding is the Tail-F product is
for configuration management and supporting provisioning automations
anyways,  monitoring configs sure.  As far as I know they cannot
monitor or show network operational status, so your use case may not
overlap with their capabilities,  and perhaps, what you are likely
suggesting is something that unfortunately doesn't exist yet:  a tool
for both configuring and observing a detailed operational state of the
network devices  in a vendor-agnostic way.

However, for simple bandwidth statistics and port Up/Down;  for most
devices, this  information is available through SNMP based management
tools.

Basic Up/Down and statistics  could generally be gathered by any good
SNMP-based NMS / network monitoring product,  there are thousands of
these, or OSS such as Cacti, Zenoss,  and proprietary ones such as  HP
OpenView, SolarWinds, InterMapper, Whatsup;  also,  just about every
major network device vendor has their element management system.

Various NMS can also be configured to run some selected code or offer
up a GUI command for running a snmpwalk  against the ifOperStatus or
ifIn/Out Octets.

--
-JH