Large DDoS, small extortion

Brett Frankenberger rbf+nanog at panix.com
Sat May 24 00:39:31 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 02:09:18PM -0400, Barry Shein wrote:

> On May 24, 2014 at 00:38 rdobbins at arbor.net (Roland Dobbins) wrote:
>  > Never, under any circumstances, pay.  Not even if you've persuaded
>  > the Men from U.N.C.L.E. to help you, and they suggest you pay
>  > because they think they can trace the money, do not pay.
>
> Ok, you're recommending $VICTIM ignores or resists the advice of law
> enforcement authorities, right?

Law enforcement and victims have different objectives.  Law enforcement
wants to find the criminal, gather sufficient evidence to prove their
guilt, then prosecute them.  More attacks helps law enforcement.

The victims, in general, want the attacks to stop.

> I just don't know and would suggest reliance on case studies and
> experienced professionals.

Agreed.  But make sure the experienced professionals you talk with have
interests that are aligned with yours.

(Not arguing pay or don't pay here.  I don't know, either.  My
instincts say "don't pay" but I have no data.)

     -- Brett