IPv6 at 50% for VZW (Re: NAT IP and Google)

Julien Goodwin nanog at studio442.com.au
Fri May 23 05:24:08 UTC 2014

On 23/05/14 11:21, Jared Mauch wrote:
> You can't cater to everyones broken network.  I can't reach 1.1.1.1 from here either, but sometimes when I travel I can, even with TTL=1.  At some point folks have to fix what's broken.

1.1.1.1 is not private IP space.

BGP routing table entry for 1.1.1.0/24
Paths: (2 available, best #1)
  15169
  AS-path translation: { Google }
    edge5.Amsterdam1 (metric 20040)
      Origin IGP, metric 100000, localpref 86, valid, internal, best
      Community: Europe  Lclprf_86 Netherlands Level3_Peer Amsterdam
      Originator: edge5.Amsterdam1
  15169
  AS-path translation: { Google }
    edge5.Amsterdam1 (metric 20040)
      Origin IGP, metric 100000, localpref 86, valid, internal
      Community: Europe  Lclprf_86 Netherlands Level3_Peer Amsterdam
      Originator: edge5.Amsterdam1

(Yes ok, it doesn't respond to any packets last I checked)

I just wish Cisco wouldn't document it as a great IP address to use for
your captive portal