Observations of an Internet Middleman (Level3) (was: RIP

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun May 18 05:39:13 UTC 2014

On Friday, May 16, 2014 08:52:31 PM Christopher Morrow
wrote:

> is 'symmetric traffic ratios' even relevant though?
> Peering is about offsetting costs, right? it might not
> be important that the ratio be 1:1 or 2:1... or even
> 10:1, if it's going to cost you 20x to get the traffic
> over longer/transit/etc paths... or if you have to build
> into some horrific location(s) to access the content in
> question.
>
> Harping on symmetric ratios seems very 1990... and not
> particularly germaine to the conversation at hand.

Agree.

We don't have a ratio requirement, for example. We have a
"if it makes sense" requirement.

I'm forced to peer with certain African providers in London
and Amsterdam because they don't want to peer in Africa,
where we are literally are an x-connect away from each
other. And the reasons are not even because either of us is
larger or smaller than the other... it's just legacy
thinking and we're the new guy that has grown rapidly.

Now we both have to pay for traffic to get sent to Europe
and back. How nice...

Mark.