Access hardware for small FTTP deployment

Geoffrey Keating geoffk at geoffk.org
Fri May 16 23:41:46 UTC 2014

Chris <hs.citizen at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm interested to see what other people are doing for these types of small
> setups. Does anyone know of any other reasonably priced access switches,
> 32+ SFP ports, and able to withstand 60degC or higher operating temperature?

An alternative you might consider is a small A/C unit, especially if
high temperatures aren't common where you are.  Around here it's rare
to see a roadside cabinet without one.

Depending on where you are you might also find you need heat, since
it's even harder to find components specified for below-freezing than
for high temperatures.  (I was also reminded that heat is helpful if
your equipment will occasionally be powered down or under a light
load, because as it cools down there can be condensation.)