Observations of an Internet Middleman (Level3) (was: RIP

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri May 16 19:40:32 UTC 2014

On Friday, May 16, 2014 05:45:06 PM Scott Helms wrote:

> Bandwidth use trends are actually increasingly
> asymmetical because of the popularity of OTT video.
>
> Social media, even with video uploading, simply doesn't
> generate that much traffic per session.

Our experience showed that there is a direct co-relation
between the lack of traffic in the upstream direction and
poor upload bandwidth (primarily, due to asymmetric tech.
such as ADSL), e.g., because of the ADSL I have at home
(512Kbps up, 4Mbps down), I generally do not send very large
e-mails when working from home; nor do I use my laptop for
remote router/switch updates as the software images are a
nightmare to upload.

And yes, there is a larger proportion of downstream traffic
than there is upstream traffic pretty much most of the time
(even with symmetric links). However, with symmetry,
upstream traffic will increase significantly as customers
realize it is now available.

One of the use-cases we thought about when deploying an FTTH
backbone was having remote PVR's. So rather than record and
save linear Tv programming on the STB, record and save it in
the network. This could only be done with symmetric
bandwidth.

Mark.