Observations of an Internet Middleman (Level3) (was: RIP

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri May 16 19:25:30 UTC 2014

On Friday, May 16, 2014 05:35:39 PM Jay Ashworth wrote:

> Could you expand a bit, Mark on "Social media forces the
> use of symmetric bandwidth"?  Which social media
> platform is it that you think has a) symmetrical flows
> that b) are big enough to figure into transit symmetry?

What we saw with FTTH deployments is that customers uploaded
more videos and photos to Youtube, Facebook, MySpace, e.t.c.
They didn't do this on ADSL as much (it's too frustrating).

When that caught on, customers started buying online backup
services - synchronizing backups of their home or office
computers to remote backup infrastructure. Again, they never
did this with ADSL.

What we learned: don't take it for granted that you will
always know what your customers (or the content providers
who serve them) will do with the bandwidth. If they have it,
expect the worst, and plan for it as best you can.

Mark.