Observations of an Internet Middleman (Level3) (was: RIP

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Fri May 16 17:39:43 UTC 2014

Blake,

You're absolutely correct.  The world adapts to the reality that we find
ourselves in via normal market mechanics.  The problem with proposing that
connectivity for residential customers should be more symmetrical is that
its expensive, which is why we as operators didn't roll it out that way to
start.  We also don't see consumer demand for symmetrical connections and
with the decline in peer to peer file sharing we've actually seen a
decrease the ratio of used upstream bandwidth (though not a decrease in
absolute terms).

I would like to deliver symmetrical bandwidth to all consumers just so
those few customers who need it today would have lower bills but trying to
justify that to our CFO without being able to point to an increase in
revenue either because of more revenue per sub or more subs is a very tough
task.  I don't believe my situation is uncommon.

Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology
ZCorum
(678) 507-5000