Observations of an Internet Middleman (Level3) (was: RIP

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri May 16 15:26:14 UTC 2014

On Friday, May 16, 2014 05:08:33 PM Scott Helms wrote:

> Social media is not a big driver of symmetrical traffic
> here in the US or internationally.  Broadband suffers
> here for a number of reasons, mainly topological and
> population density, in comparison to places like Japan,
> parts (but certainly not all) of Europe, and South
> Korea.

It might not be (now), but if symmetrical bandwidth will go
in on the back of teenagers wanting to upload videos about
their lives, the meer fact that the bandwidth is there means
someone will find bigger and better use for it, than social
media.

We saw this when we deployed FTTH in Malaysia, back in '09.

Mark.