FTTH ONTs and routers

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri May 16 07:11:12 UTC 2014

On Thursday, May 15, 2014 07:11:20 PM Jean-Francois Mezei
wrote:

> Can anyone confirm whether ONTs generally have routing
> (aka: home router that does the PPPoE or DHCP and then
> NAT for home) capabilities?

I know of a well-known vendor coming out with a new OLT that
supports both typical GPON access, as well as Active-E
access, and with IP routing capabilities.

It hasn't yet hit the shelves, but for anyone with an ounce
of interest in FTTH, you will hear about it soon.

So yes, in the past it has been hit & miss, but I think
there are some vendors who are now seriously pushing a box
that is multi-lingual, i.e., supports GPON, Active-E, IP and
MPLS.

Mark.