Observations of an Internet Middleman (Level3) (was: RIP

Keenan Tims ktims at stargate.ca
Thu May 15 20:17:22 UTC 2014

Their existing agreements notwithstanding, I believe the problem many have with Comcast's balanced ratio requirement is that they have 10s of millions of customers, all or almost all of whom are sold "unbalanced" services. In addition the majority of their customers are end users, who are also going to bias toward heavily inbound patterns (which is one of the reasons for the asymmetric connections in the first place).

As primarily an eyeball network with a token (8000 quoted) number of transit customers it does not seem reasonable for them to expect balanced ratios on peering links. They are, effectively by their own choice of market, always going to have a heavily inbound traffic ratio. It seems to me that requiring anything else is basically a way to give the finger to a potential peer while claiming to be neutral. I find it hard to believe that Comcast would be running many balanced links (peering or transit) at all, except perhaps to other consumer ISPs.

In today's environment there are inevitably going to be heavily inbound and heavily outbound networks. Content networks don't have any problem with SFI despite their ratio. Eyeball networks do. Both are in the position they are because of the line of business they have respectively chosen. But the eyeball network is the only one that is explicitly and exclusively paid *to carry traffic*. IMO if the content network is willing to bring their content, for free, to the eyeball network's edge, this is to the benefit of the eyeball network more than content, in the absence of other "factors".

In this case that factor appears to me to be "ad-hoc oligopoly". If customers had options and an easy path to switch, they would not tolerate this behaviour when they can switch to a competitor who provides good service for the bits they request. Content would gain a lot of leverage in this situation as they could help "educate" customers on alternatives, automatically and without paying a support agent. Of course we should be careful not to let the opposite situation occur either...

Keenan