Observations of an Internet Middleman (Level3) (was: RIP

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Thu May 15 19:05:57 UTC 2014

> So by extension, if you enter an agreement and promise to remain balanced y=
> ou can just willfully throw that out and abuse the heck out of it? Where do=
> es it end? Why even bother having peering policies at all then?

It doesn't strike you as a ridiculous promise to extract from someone?

"Hi I'm an Internet company.  I don't actually know what the next big
thing next year will be but I promise that I won't host it on my network
and cause our traffic to become lopsided."

Wow.  Is that what you're saying?

> To use an analogy, if you and I agree to buy a car together and agree to sw=
> itch off who uses it every other day, can I just say "forget our agreement =
> =96 I=92m just going to drive the car myself every single day =96 its all m=
> ine=94?

Seems like a poor analogy since I'm pretty sure both parties on a peering
can use the port at the same time.

... JG