FTTH ONTs and routers

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Thu May 15 17:11:20 UTC 2014

It had been my impression that ONTs, like most other consumer modems,
came with built-in router capabilities (along with ATA for voice).

The assertion that ONTs have built-in routing capabilities has been
challenged.

Can anyone confirm whether ONTs generally have routing (aka: home router
that does the PPPoE or DHCP and then NAT for home) capabilities?

Are there examples where a telco has deployed ONTs with the router
built-in and enabled ? Or would almost all FTTH deployments be made with
any routing disabled and the ONT acting as a pure ethernet bridge ?

(I appreciate your help on this as I am time constrained to do research).