Observations of an Internet Middleman (Level3) (was: RIP Network Neutrality (was: Wow its been quiet here...

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Thu May 15 04:29:12 UTC 2014

>So, at the end of the week, I *had* been paying $10/mb to
>send traffic through transit to reach the whole rest of the
>internet.  Now, I'm paying $5+$4+$4+$5+$2, or $30, and
>I don't have a full set of routes, so I've still got to keep
>paying the transit provider as well at $10.

I would like to agree with you as I'm not a fan (by any stretch) of this type
of paid peering to enter access networks, but your formula's off.  It supposes
that the same bit is traversing multiple paid peering links.  The formula (if
we ignore commits for now) should be something more like:

C(T) = R(t) * M(t) + R(1) * M(1) ... + R(n) * M(n)

Where:
C(T) = total cost
R(t) = transit $/mbit rate
M(t) = transit mbps
R(1) = paid peering agreement #1 $/mbps rate
M(1) = paid peering agreement #1 mbps
R(n) = paid peering agreement #n $/mbps rate
M(n) = paid peering agreement #n mbps

For your $10/mb transit example, suppose we had 1 Gbps of traffic and so our
transit cost would be $10,000/month.  We take your mixed bag of paid peering
and say we give each of those 5 paid peers 100 mbps:

C(T) = 500 * 10 + 100 * 5 + 100 * 4 + 100 * 4 + 100 * 5 + 100 * 2
C(T) = $7,000/month

So, yes, as long as R(n) is lower than R(t), your overall cost should be lower,
since you're moving some number of mbps from your higher priced transit link to
one or more (slightly) cheaper paid peering links.

Now, as I mentioned, this ignores commits, so it's really more like:

C(T) = ( c(t) + R(t) * M(t) ) + ( c(n) + R(n) * M(n) )
Where:
c(t) = transit commit $
M(t) = transit mbps over commit
c(n) = paid peering agreement #n commit $...I've not personally had to deal
with paid peering so I don't know if commit rates are at all common on them,
but you can sub or add in other fixed costs e.g. transport to reach the paid
peering exchange point
M(n) = paid peering agreement #n mbps over commit

So, it starts to get murkier. E.g. if you're not over your transit commit and
now you're shifting traffic off of your transit onto paid peering, you may want
to lower your transit commits.

This also does not account for other potential costs were this type of
arrangement to become commonplace, e.g. the additional burden on content
providers of maintaining direct business relationships with any access network
that would require paid peering for preferential/decent quality.

Again: I'm not a fan of some of the possible abuses or strong-arm tactics of
this type of arrangement between eyeball networks and content providers (e.g.
running transit or existing peering links hot to push content providers to paid
peering to reach the eyeball customers), but the math is not quite so dire as
it was made out to be.

--
Hugo