BGP route flapping

Jack Bates jbates at paradoxnetworks.net
Thu May 15 00:27:16 UTC 2014

On 5/14/2014 5:14 PM, Gus Crichton wrote:
> The route calculations by the upstream tier 1s and 2s handle the route calculations but if I do this too many times consuming their resources, is there a penalty/blackmark on my AS? Is this monitored even by the tier1s and 2s?

Generally I don't like to see BGP flap more than 3 times in an hour or
two. I've seen some people do some really fast flapping and find
themselves isolated from quite a few networks for 30 minutes or so. It
really just depends on who out there is doing route dampening and how
they configured it. Remember, a single flap from your point of view is
possibly multiple flaps from other router viewpoints.

Generally it is not an ASN issue unless you're just horribly bad, but
individual networks can have issues with automated mechanisms.

Jack