Observations of an Internet Middleman (Level3) (was: RIP Network Neutrality

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Thu May 15 00:01:36 UTC 2014

On 5/14/2014 4:27 AM, Roland Dobbins wrote:

> On May 14, 2014, at 3:11 PM, Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm constantly amazed at how access networks think they can charge
>> 2/3 the price of full transit for just their routes when they
>> represent less than 1/10th of the overall traffic volume.
>
> My guess is that from the perspective of the access providers, they
> aren't selling traffic volume or routes, per se - their view is that
> they're selling privileged engagement with large numbers of
> potentially monetizable individual prospects.

In a world ruled by by the dreaded principles of completion, that would
be described as the price where buyer and seller agreed on the value of
the product.

> Note that I'm neither endorsing nor disputing this perspective, just
> mooting it as a possible explanation.|

I do endorse a free market as providing the best value to all.

> Are there any real-world models out there for revenue-sharing between
> app/content providers and access networks which would eliminate or
> reduce 'paid peering' (an alternate way to think of it is as
> 'delimited transit', another oxymoron like 'paid peering', but with a
> slightly different emphasis) monetary exchanges?

Maybe it is time to try a free market.

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: