BGP route flapping

Gus Crichton Gus.Crichton at digicelgroup.com
Wed May 14 22:14:01 UTC 2014

Hi there,

Hope you networking experts can shed some light on a concern I have please. I am multihoming using 2 ISPs to the internet, due to reasons outside my control, my primary preferred link keeps dropping a number of times a day forcing traffic to my backup and vice-versa when the primary comes back up.

The route calculations by the upstream tier 1s and 2s handle the route calculations but if I do this too many times consuming their resources, is there a penalty/blackmark on my AS? Is this monitored even by the tier1s and 2s?

Thanks.

Regards,
Gus C.

Notice of Confidentiality:

The information contained in this communication is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it. It may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to this email and then delete it from your system.