Observations of an Internet Middleman (Level3) (was: RIP Network Neutrality (was: Wow its been quiet here...

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Wed May 14 09:27:57 UTC 2014

On May 14, 2014, at 3:11 PM, Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com> wrote:

> I'm constantly amazed at how access networks think they can charge 2/3 the price of full transit for just their routes when they represent less than 1/10th of the overall traffic volume.

My guess is that from the perspective of the access providers, they aren't selling traffic volume or routes, per se - their view is that they're selling privileged engagement with large numbers of potentially monetizable individual prospects.

Note that I'm neither endorsing nor disputing this perspective, just mooting it as a possible explanation.

Are there any real-world models out there for revenue-sharing between app/content providers and access networks which would eliminate or reduce 'paid peering' (an alternate way to think of it is as 'delimited transit', another oxymoron like 'paid peering', but with a slightly different emphasis) monetary exchanges?

                   Equo ne credite, Teucri.

    		   	  -- Laocoön