Observations of an Internet Middleman (Level3) (was: RIP Network Neutrality (was: Wow its been quiet here...

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun May 11 17:11:57 UTC 2014

On May 10, 2014, at 3:14 PM, Michael Conlen <mike at conlen.org> wrote:

> If we ignore why and how the few high speed options exist for a moment and accept that it's "the way it is," then it seems reasonable that the place to put regulation is on them. At the same time cutting out middlemen is generally good for everyone but the middlemen.
>
> My current opinion then is to let ISPs cut out the middlemen but ensure that services which don't pay fees get reasonable access; regulate peering and transit agreements (not just for access providers but across the board). ISPs should be responsible to keep their links congestion free and have fair and reasonable terms to connect to their networks. They can sell direct access to their network to anyone as long as they aren't selling QoS.
>
> Comcast and Verizon can sell direct access to content providers but they cannot degrade service as leverage in negotiations.

That set of regulations would be utterly impossible to meaningfully enforce because so much of it depends on subjective evaluation.

The various law firms involved (Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, et al.) would have a field day playing in the gray areas of any such set of rules, most likely creating a situation of exactly the opposite of what is intended.

> A side effect would be that if peering agreements must be public and there are stated terms for various types of peering many of the silky peering games that get played and the silky peering disagreements that cause problems would be more difficult.

More likely, costs would go up for everyone for everything and the game wouldn’t change by all that much.

> We could finally answer the age old question, "is company X a 'tier 1'. “

Since nobody has a real definition for “tier 1”, it’s a fairly meaningless question to begin with.

(Yes, I am familiar with the alleged “does not pay for transit” definition, but I’ll point out that a completely disconnected network doesn’t pay for transit, either, but I doubt anyone would think they are a tier 1.)

Owen