Observations of an Internet Middleman (Level3) (was: RIP Network Neutrality (was: Wow its been quiet here...

Phil Bedard bedard.phil at gmail.com
Sat May 10 19:40:36 UTC 2014

The UK only does this with BT OpenReach since they were the telco monopoly
that originated as a government entity.  Virgin Media (well all the people
who now form Virgin Media) built and operates their own fiber/HFC access
networks, the same as MSOs in the US, and does not offer wholesale access
and isn't treated as a utility.  There are areas in the UK Virgin serves
where the wholesale network does not, and areas where they offer much
faster speeds, which is the same exact scenario as we have here.  Just
because Verizon isn't using VDSL/VDSL2 or hasn't brought FIOS to your area
isn't Comcast's fault.  The newer OpenReach wholesale fiber network is
also partially subsidized by the government.

I'm all for wholesale broadband access, but I wouldn't paint the situation
in the UK as vastly different than here.  We had the same thing the UK
does now 10+ years ago with the CLECs and DSL providers like Covad, etc.
but the regulations changed and dried up access.  TWC did wholesale access
during the same time; Earthlink Cable had quite a few customers back in
the day through the arrangement, but it was complicated and ultimately
your Internet pipe all still went through TWC.

Phil