US patent 5473599

Henning Brauer hb-nanog at bsws.de
Thu May 8 18:54:02 UTC 2014

* Bill Fenner <fenner at gmail.com> [2014-05-08 20:41]:
> I was the IESG member responsible for the VRRP working group when the
> OpenBSD developer (I'm sorry, Henning, I forget if it was you or someone
> else)

wasn't me, as stated repeatedly I wasn't the one talking to the
standard bodies.

> came to a VRRP WG meeting and demanded that the IETF handle the
> patent issue with VRRP.  We described the IETF's IPR process and that the
> policy is explicitly not to do what was being requested, and the response
> was more or less "well, then we'll have to fix the problem for you".  At
> later meetings I heard buzz about how the developers intended CARP to
> interfere with VRRP, with the philosophical position that VRRP wasn't a
> protocol.

I think we have told what happened in enough detail in the 3.5
commentary already posted to this thread.

Henning Brauer, hb at bsws.de, henning at openbsd.org
BS Web Services GmbH, AG Hamburg HRB 128289, http://bsws.de
Dedicated Servers, Rootservers, VMs/PVS, Application Hosting