US patent 5473599

Henning Brauer hb-nanog at bsws.de
Thu May 8 10:25:39 UTC 2014

* Eygene Ryabinkin <rea at grid.kiae.ru> [2014-05-08 11:12]:
> Henning,
> Thu, May 08, 2014 at 09:35:00AM +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:
> > * Blake Dunlap <ikiris at gmail.com> [2014-05-08 03:19]:
> > > Except for that whole mac address thing, that crashes networks...
> > this lie doesn't get any more true by repeating them over and over.
> So, you insist that VRRP and CARP instances with the same VRID/VHID in
> the same L2 segment will coexist peacefully?  I had seen problems with
> such setup, so if you can enlighten me how to overcome them (rather
> than saying "you must choose different VRID/VHID") -- it will be very
> good.

you shouldn't see issues but log spam.

I haven't seen anotehr issue and I haven't seen a single report
claiming otherwise over the last 10 years either, minus the mentioned
cisco 3600 "don't bother checking the version number field before
parsing on" screwup.

Henning Brauer, hb at bsws.de, henning at openbsd.org
BS Web Services GmbH, AG Hamburg HRB 128289, http://bsws.de
Dedicated Servers, Rootservers, VMs/PVS, Application Hosting