US patent 5473599

Henning Brauer hb-nanog at bsws.de
Thu May 8 07:45:02 UTC 2014

* Robert Drake <rdrake at direcpath.com> [2014-05-08 06:02]:
> On 5/7/2014 9:47 PM, Rob Seastrom wrote:
> Now, the bar for an informational RFC is pretty low.  Especially for people
> who have written them before.  Those people seem to think one is needed in
> this case so they might want to get started writing it.  Then patches to the
> man pages covering the past issues can be added to document things, and a
> patch can be issued with the new OUI, ethertype, or port number, whichever
> the RFC decides to go for.

spot on.

but apparently nanog is just about whining for the sake of whining.

> >Must be a pretty horrible existence ("I pity the fool"?) to live on
> >donated resources but lack the creativity to figure out a way to run a
> >special fund raiser for an amount worthy of a Scout troop bake sale.
> >Makes you wonder what the OpenBSD project could accomplish if they had
> >smart people who could get along with others to the point of shaking
> >them down for tax-deductible donations, doesn't it?
> The money could also be donated by parties interested in solutions.

again, spot on.

> Open source is about people finding a problem and fixing it for their own
> benefit then giving the fix away to the community for everyone's benefit.  I
> know in the past the OpenBSD community has been harsh with outsiders who
> submit patches.  I honestly expect the same response in this case,
> especially because of the underlying drama associated with it, but without
> trying first it just seems like the network community is whining without
> being helpful at all.

I think we are pretty damn open for patches from outside.

And I have said it before, if somebody does the work and gives us a
mac addr range to use without unreasonable terms and conditions
attached, we'll almost certainly use it. Chances increased if it is a
full patch with code for the transition period.

Sorry, doesn't fit nanog, since that would require work instead of
just whining and bitching.

Henning Brauer, hb at bsws.de, henning at openbsd.org
BS Web Services GmbH, AG Hamburg HRB 128289, http://bsws.de
Dedicated Servers, Rootservers, VMs/PVS, Application Hosting