US patent 5473599

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Wed May 7 17:18:03 UTC 2014

Eygene Ryabinkin <rea+nanog at grid.kiae.ru> writes:

> If you hadn't seen the cases when same VRIDs in the same network were
> used for both VRRP and CARP doesn't mean that they aren't occurring in
> the real world.  We use CARP and VRRP quite extensively and when we
> first were hit by this issue, it was not that funny.

+1

> but choosing OUI from the VRRP space (hijacking that space) was
> clearly the poor design choice.  Fullstop.

+\infty

Either it was an intentional conflict that was meant to cause
operational problems or it was not.

If it was, then a previous characterization of CARP as a trojan is spot on.

If it was not (and I'm willing to be charitable here), then the
take-away from this is that the folks who made this decision are
utterly clueless about standards, the reason for standards, and
operations.  That would hardly be earth shattering news.

Those wishing to decide for themselves which it is may wish to
consider the fact that this tripping point remains undocumented in
OpenBSD's man page ten years on.

-r