About NetFlow/IPFIX and DPI

Paolo Lucente pl+list at pmacct.net
Wed May 7 16:43:38 UTC 2014

Please note NBAR/NetFlow integration wanted to be an example of
using NetFlow/ IPFIX as a transport for DPI classification info
(where classification could be performed with any other in-line
technology than NBAR).

Whether NBAR works or does not as a classification technology is
out of scope for me here - and seems also out of the op request.

Inline:

On Wed, May 07, 2014 at 04:15:44PM +0000, Dobbins, Roland wrote:

> So, perhaps now we can de-conflate flow telemetry and 'DPI', since the real-life export, collection, and analysis of anything other than layer-4 information via flow telemetry isn't at all commonplace (if it in fact exists at all) on production networks), at this juncture.

I disagree if anybody conflates here. I don't. I see two disjoint
pieces: classification technology and transport of classification
info to a central location. IPFIX, for example, is general (and
standardized) enough to transport/encapsulate other info than just
flow info, this might include DPI classification or other stuff.
You can also read this as: if you have to travel some info, why re
invent the wheel and not leverage a general-enough, standardized
transport protocol (that btw you can contribute at any point to
enhance if not satisfactory enough)?

And please it's nice to have different positions - no need to escalate.

Cheers,
Paolo