About NetFlow/IPFIX and DPI

Paolo Lucente pl+list at pmacct.net
Wed May 7 15:45:06 UTC 2014

Another role for IPFIX/NetFlow in the context of DPI (on top of
PSAMP that was already mentioned by Roland) is to serve as a
transport mechanism to travel flow data along with their DPI
classification from probes to remote collectors, for persistent
storage, analysis, etc.

This model is supported on the export side by Cisco with their
NetFlow/NBAR integration and on the collection side by some
collector. Maybe this (*) recent university report from the
good Tomasz Bujlov can be of interest to you. What i described
above is specifically captured in chapters 3.4.6 and 3.5.6.

Cheers,
Paolo

(*) http://vbn.aau.dk/files/78068418/report.pdf