US patent 5473599

Henning Brauer hb-nanog at bsws.de
Wed May 7 06:34:23 UTC 2014

* David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> [2014-05-07 00:21]:
> The fact that OpenBSD developers continue to defend this choice is
> one reason why I won't run OpenBSD (or CARP).

We won't miss you.

And besides, you're running plenty of our code every day. It's probaby
in your pocket right now.

> > Any complaints for Google using the https port 443 for SPDY?
> AFAIK, the use of SPDY does not preclude the use of HTTPS on the same
> network.

The use of CARP does not preclude the use of VRRP on the same network
either.

> The fact that in addition to the OpenBSD developers choosing
> to use 112, they also chose to use the MAC addresses used for VRRP,
> thus making it impossible to run both VRRP and CARP on the same network
> due to MAC address conflicts would suggest you might want to pick a
> better analogy.

How about checking your facts before making wrong claims next time?
carp and vrrp work prefectly fine next to each other on the same
network.

I explained what lead to the mac addr at least twice right in this
thread. Amazing how many people here apparently have text
understanding issues.

Henning Brauer, hb at bsws.de, henning at openbsd.org
BS Web Services GmbH, AG Hamburg HRB 128289, http://bsws.de
Dedicated Servers, Rootservers, VMs/PVS, Application Hosting