US patent 5473599

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue May 6 19:31:38 UTC 2014

Constantine,

On May 6, 2014, at 11:54 AM, Constantine A. Murenin <mureninc at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

Yes. The 8-bit IP protocol field is assigned by IANA according to "IESG Approval or Standards Action".

Protocol 112 was assigned by IANA for VRRP in 1998.

When did OpenBSD choose to squat on 112?

I would imagine the reply was "IANA does not have discretion to assign those values, they are assigned by IESG or via a standards action." Indeed, IP protocol 240 is not yet allocated. Presumably the OpenBSD community expects everyone else to acknowledge the squatting on 240.

> Frankly, I don't really see what the huge loss is.

Not surprising.

> Perhaps people
> should realise that OpenBSD has recently removed The Heartbeat
> Extension from TLS in libssl, and boycott the upcoming LibreSSL, since
> its likelihood of having another heartbleed has been so reduced, yet
> the API is still compatible with OpenSSL.  ???

Sorry, the relationship between OpenBSD developers intentionally and childishly squatting on a protocol number and OpenBSD developers hacking apart OpenSSL is what exactly?

Regards,
-drc