US patent 5473599

Constantine A. Murenin mureninc at gmail.com
Tue May 6 18:54:53 UTC 2014

On 6 May 2014 07:56,  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 06 May 2014 09:22:37 +0200, Henning Brauer said:
>> * Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> [2014-04-26 22:56]:
>> > the situation was created by the openbsd team, not the ieee, the ietf or
>> > iana.
>>
>> that's nothing short of a lie.
>
> Umm.. remind me who chose the conflicting value and shipped product that used
> it, when they knew (or should have known) that it would be in conflict?
>
> I'd almost accept an assertion that the issue wasn't recognized as a problem,
> or was believed to be a hypothetical that wouldn't happen in the real world.
> But trying to deny who picked the number doesn't help the situation.

The situation is actually very clearly documented in the commentary to
OpenBSD 3.5 release song on the web-site:

http://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html#35

Let me quote some excerpts:

Frankly, I don't really see what the huge loss is.  Perhaps people
should realise that OpenBSD has recently removed The Heartbeat
Extension from TLS in libssl, and boycott the upcoming LibreSSL, since
its likelihood of having another heartbleed has been so reduced, yet
the API is still compatible with OpenSSL.  ???

C.