Paging HP DNS admin

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon May 5 23:32:44 UTC 2014

In message <5367FDCE.6090101 at hpl.hp.com>, Andris Kalnozols writes:
> On 5/3/2014 9:10 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> > On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 11:13 PM, Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net> wrote:
> >> Once upon a time, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> said:
> >> Oddly, it seems to be specific to AAAA; any other type request I send
> >> comes back NOERROR correctly.  It is like somebody tried to handle AAAA
> >> "special" and screwed it up.
> >
> > I remember nytimes doing something like this for a while, I believe
> > they said their GSLB was just not happy doing AAAA, or if not
> > configured would display similar behaviour.
>
> Thanks for reporting this. I passed it on to the corp-IT people and
> the issue appears to be fixed.  The problem was that someone forgot
> to override the F5 default of *NOT* enabling a NODATA/NOERROR response
> for AAAA queries.  I have no idea why an opt-in would be required for
> proper interoperability with RFC 1034 from 1987.  Then again, I have
> zero experience with operating a load balancer appliance.
>
> ------
> Andris

Can you please log a bug report with F5 about the defaults.  It
should answer all queries unless a backing nameserver has been
configured.

It should also sanity check the negative responses to ensure that
they have the correct SOA record from the backing server but that
is another issue.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC