Paging HP DNS admin

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Sun May 4 03:13:51 UTC 2014

Once upon a time, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> said:
> if I ask ns1/2/3/4/5/6.hp.com directly for AAAA for onramp01.hpeprint.com.:
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> AAAA onramp01.hpeprint.com. @ns6.hp.com
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 6, ADDITIONAL: 6
> ;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;onramp01.hpeprint.com.         IN      AAAA

You left out the authority section that refers you to the correct DNS
servers - ns[1-6].hp.com are not it.  They delegate to another set of HP
servers, which all time out (as stated by the OP) when asked for AAAA.

Oddly, it seems to be specific to AAAA; any other type request I send
comes back NOERROR correctly.  It is like somebody tried to handle AAAA
"special" and screwed it up.

--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>